We made it!
We had to wait about four hours between checking out of the hotel and leaving from Atlanta, during which time I ascertained that there is no ice cream in all of Concourse E. After beating up an old lady who dared to cut in front of me at the gate, I paid off the right guy, and got exit row seats for our trip from Atlanta to Munich.
I've never seen a night that only lasted four hours, but when you fly east, that's what happens. We probably slept something like two hours on the way over. I would have been a little more tired, but I got a quick pick-me-up when the stewardess spilled a full cup of water on me in the morning.
Josef was there to pick us up in Munich, but he didn't want to drive. Guess who got that privilege? Here I am in Germany for ten minutes, and I'm cruising on the autobahn with packs of BMWs, Mercedes and Audis zooming by me at 90-100 MPH. Josef's van topped out at about 75, so we stayed in the right lane. I even figured out the roundabouts without too much trouble.
We took the scenic route back, so I was driving through a lot of narrow streets in small rural Bavarian villages (Miesbach-Schliersee-Achensee, etc) as we crossed into Austria and down the Alps into the valley where Josef lives. We're in the town of Kleinsoell near Kufstein in southwest Austria.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home